Thursday, July 28, 2011

What's in a Scent?

In response to the out-pouring of feedback I received regarding my comments about perfume (and my theory about GAP Blue), I have decided to dedicate this post to my five favorite perfumes...and compare and contrast them by ingredients as well as the response I've received. I want to figure out just WHAT it is about GAP Blue that the men LOVE.

My Five Favorite Perfumes are as follows (in order of how much I Love them)
1. Coco Chanel Mademoiselle
2. Ralph Lauren Romance
3. GAP Blue
4. Body by Victoria
5. Victoria's Secret Supermodel

Top 5 Ranked by Men (IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE)
1. GAP Blue
2. Body by Victoria
3. Victoria's Secret Supermodel
4. Ralph Lauren Romance
5. Coco Chanel Mademoiselle


Let's look at these scents one by one...

MADEMOISELLE

Launched in 2001. Floral fragrance. Top notes are orange, mandarin orange, orange blossom and bergamot; middle notes are mimose, jasmine, turkish rose and ylang-ylang; base notes are tonka bean, patchouli, opoponax, vanilla, vetiver and white musk.

Loved By: Most women I know who have smelled it. Preferred scent of Lane by BFF.

Notes: I have NEVER had a man compliment this perfume. I love it enough to bathe in it. Where's the disconnect here? Why don't these men know what's good?


RALPH LAUREN ROMANCE

Created in 1998. Notes of rose blend, citrusy oils, water lily, white violet, ginger, patchouli, oakmoss, and white musk.

Loved By: Me. A somewhat strong scent, I have been complimented on this once or twice.

Notes: The lotion, which is milder, has gotten me far more compliments.


GAP BLUE


Launched in 1997, GAP Blue is a floral green fragrance. Features cyclamen, mandarin orange, green leaves, bergamot.

Loved by: At least 10 men throughout my life (and we're talking men in general--friends, boyfriends, random acquaintances)

Notes: When I was single, I carried a mini bottle in my purse. Honestly--there is SOMETHING in this perfume that is like CRACK to men.

"Are you wearing GAP blue???"

I am not joking about this. Single ladies, attached ladies---try THIS! Wear it and see the reaction. I would actually LOVE to hear what your results are.


BODY BY VICTORIA

Launched in 2002, its a Floral Woody Musk fragrance for women. Top notes are mimose, mandarin orange and freesia; middle notes are peony, lily, cucumber and hiacynth; base notes are sandalwood and white musk.

Loved by: Consistent, intermittent compliments. Not as strong a reaction as GAP Blue. Uniformly positive reaction.

Notes: This is the perfume that makes me feel the most sexy personally. Not necessarily the most classy--haha. Maybe a perfume for a single ladies night out?


SUPERMODEL

Presented in 2007. Chinese berries, peach blossom, and sandalwood.

Loved by: Me and my former roommate Tanya!

Notes: This scent seems...immature somehow. I never wore it for a date, only for a night of fun. I did receive compliments periodically, from both men and women.


SO WHAT HAVE WE LEARNED???

My Conclusions:

1. Either mandarin orange, bergamot, green leaves, or cyclamen must attract men (as these are the main ingredients of GAP Blue)

2. Bergamot is present in large amounts in Mademoiselle, which has attracted NO men. Bergamot is clearly not the "man grabbing scent." So, single ladies, wear Mademoiselle when you want to smell yourself---not when you want to hook a guy.

3. Mandarin orange is present in Body by Victoria (liked by men), AND Mademoiselle (ignored by men) suggesting that Mandarin orange does not make or break any fragrance.

4. "Green leaves" is a really random ingredient. Its possible that men like this, but somehow I can't imagine this contributes a strong scent to the mix.

5. CYCLAMEN is likely the MAN GRABBER. Come on, the word "men" is in the ingredient!!!

Cyclamen is a flower. And apparently men love it.
It is present in the following perfumes (for ladies who want to make things happen!!!)
-Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio
-Dolce & Gabbana Anthology L'Imperatice 3
-Yves St. Laurent Cinema
-Hugo Boss Pure Purple
-Victoria's Secret Sexy Little Things Noir




YOU'RE WELCOME.




No comments:

Post a Comment