Saturday, July 2, 2011

Day 6: Favorite SuperHero and Why

Let me be upfront here. I don't give a crap about superheroes.

It's all the same to me. So picking a favorite is challenging.

So I decided to create a grading ruberic. 4 categories. 3 contestants. One winner.

1) Best Outfit
2) Most Interesting Back-Story
3) Most Efficient Criminal Killing Skills
4) Hottest Female Counterpart

And CLEARLY the contestants are the BIG 3. The trifecta of Superhero power.




SPIDERMAN



BATMAN




SUPERMAN



I know there are others, but let's be real--these are the CLASSIC heroes that everyone knows and loves!


LET THE COMPETITION BEGIN:


1. Best Outfit: What's less appealing than black speedo shorts? RED spandex anything. Therefore, Batman is a clear winner here, based entirely on the color of his outfit. Spiderman is second, because I hate capes as well, and superman has BOTH a red cape and stupid red hot pants.


2. Best Backstory: Peter Parker is kind of a soft character for me. I'm not loving him. Clark Kent can seriously sneak out of work that easily and often and not get noticed? Plus, doesn't red spandex show through work shirts? Batman is the most realistic in one way---that he is secretive, Bruce Wayne is a badass all on his own, and that his gadgets are man-made. That being said, shouldn't a superhero be SUPER on his own? Without gadgets? So this one is a toss up. I'm torn between my love for the realistic nature of Batman and my feelings that Superheroes should NOT be realistic, by definition. TIE.


3. Best Killing Abilities: Because Batman uses lots of Gadgets, I'm going to eliminate him here. Without his gadgets he's just an average guy of above average strength. So you wouldn't want to meet him in a bar fight, but is that SUPERHERO material? I guess it depends on what you value: Flying or Climbing Buildings. There is something cool about being able to creep up the sides of buildings and swing from them. BUT ultimately, you can't beat flying right? Point: Superman.


4. Hottest Female Counterpart: I'm going to randomly select who I consider the "female counterpart" (since there have been many over the years for all of these superheroes) based on what comes to mind first. For Superman, I choose Teri Hatcher from "Lois and Clark" because I used to watch that show all the time. For SpiderMan, Kirsten Dunst. Batman is more challenging, but ultimately I think you have to go with Kim Basinger because she is the ORIGINAL. You don't have to be a heterosexual man to see that Kirsten is a bit out of her league here. And it comes down to personal preference: so I'm going to win this one for the blondes: WINNER: KIM, therefore, WINNER: BATMAN.



So there you have it, BATMAN wins. But who really gives a crap anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment