Sunday, March 25, 2012

Yummy ways to have a rockin' bod!

Today I'd like to share my most recent favorite healthy foods! A Top 10 of amazing choices that can really improve my health, fill my belly, and get me one step closer to my goals!


1. Sweet Potato
Less caloric than white potatoes, with a lower glycemic index, sweet potatoes are a great choice for a healthy carb. Less calories and a lower GI means they are less likely to make your blood sugar spike and therefore less likely to be stored as fat!!! Plus they are tasty!




2. Olive-Oil Based Salad Dressing

Full of monounsaturated fats, which help reduce cholesterol, olive oil is great for heart health. In moderation, this type of dressing is a great way to improve weight control. Creamy dressings contain more saturated fat. Reduced fat and fat-free dressings often contain added sugar, which actually causes you to GAIN more weight. Whereas monounsaturated fats, in moderation, actually aid weight control.



3. Pistacchios (plain or flavored)

Nuts are a great source of healthy fats, filling, and pistacchios are the lowest calorie nut. Plus, you have a shell them, which means you're likely to eat less. (You can't really shovel handfuls into your mouth, you know?)



4. Mushrooms

Such a polarizing food. You either love 'em or hate 'em. I LOVE THEM!!! Sometimes, I mix them in with veggies or pasta, to make the meal feel more substantial. When I'm really hungry, mushrooms fill my belly with low calorie deliciousness!



5. Green Tea w/ Honey

Green tea is full of antioxidants, and is a natural appetite suppressant. Lower caffeine than coffee, it still has a little kick! It tastes delicious with lemon or honey. I have it with a spoonful of honey--which is a simple sugar--easy to breakdown but just that little sweetness you crave!




6. Greek Yogurt

I CRAVE dairy. I try to eat a super high protein diet, so Greek Yogurt is PERFRECT! Great as a garnish on soups or mexican food, I also mix plain Greek Yogurt with veggie or onion soup packets to make a healthier version of dip!




7. Black Beans

Beans contain both protein and fiber. Filling and delicious. Black beans taste great added to lots of different dishes, and I like them better than any other bean.




8. Avocado

Avocado is a great source of healthy fat. I use it as a garnish, and also as a makeshift condiment on sandwiches!




9. 100 Calorie Whole Grain Sandwich Thins

I use these as a replacement for bread when I want to eat higher calorie things (such as peanut butter). Also, it limits the amount of total carbs I eat, thus keeping my blood sugar in check. Whole grains decrease the glycemic index, and they are delicious!



10. Yellow Apples/ Natural Applesauce

Apples are delicious. Full of nutrients. Lower sugar/calories than other fruits like bananas and pineapples (which are delicious--ugh!) but still substantial. I also add applesauce to oatmeal and other healthy stuff.


Just wanted to give an ode to some delicious healthy choices! And maybe inspire some new recipe ideas??? What can I say--I'm all about healthy choices lately!

(Sorry if this entry was boring. I'm a woman obsessed. Stick with me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment