Friday, August 26, 2011

Top Ten Favorite Movies



I got to thinking about my ABSOLUTE favorite movies. The great ones, the sappy ones, and weird ones that no one else likes (see #5)...and decided to share my AWESOME list with my faithful followers.





10. The Notebook



Ever need a good sob? Apparently it doesn't matter how many times I see this movie, it always makes me cry. The old man saying "that's my sweetheart in there. I'm not leaving her." AHH! Tears! Nevermind the fact that the rain scene is S.E.X.Y. with a capital S. Where are all the men that will build you a dream house just so that you come back to them? and write you 365 letters? Ryan Gossling makes typical men seem just...insufficient in some way.








9. A League of Their Own





When I was young, my Dad called me "Big Dottie" after Gena Davis' character in this movie. "There's no crying in baseball" is one of the most true statements ever uttered. I particularly like when Jimmy Duggan tells the ump that he looks like "a little penis with a hat on."






8. Legends of the Fall




Ok, so not a movie everyone has seen. My roommate in college thought it was "depressing." Its a tragic story, but its more about redemption. Seriously, if you like dramatic movies, watch this one. Sidenote: I am not a big Brad Pitt admirer but he's pretty darn good looking in this flick.






7. Anchorman



"It's so damn hot. Milk was a bad choice."


"What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate a whole wheel of cheese? I'm not even mad, that's amazing."


"You're like a miniature buddha, covered in hair."


"You have an absolutely breathtaking hiney. That things' good. I wanna be friends with it."


"I hear their periods attract bears. The bears can smell the menstuation. Did you hear that Ed? Bears. Now you're putting the whole station in jeopardy."


"60% of the time, it works...everytime."


ENOUGH SAID.













6. Little Miss Sunshine
This movie is heart-warming and REALLY funny. I crack UP at the end when the little girl is dancing to Super Freak at the super uptight pagaent. If you haven't seen this movie, do yourself and solid and watch it. You won't be disappointed.






5. Forever Young



My father and I once debated which Mel Gibson movie was more stupid, "What Women Want", or my OBSESSION, "Forever Young." This is legit a B-class rom-com from the early 90s. He gets frozen for 50 years and wakes up still young. Without giving the whole thing away, the end always has me in tears. Sure, the premise is far-fetched but there's something about this flick that keeps me coming back for more, teary-eyed romance and drama.






4. Office Space
"There WAS nothing wrong with the name Michael Bolton until I was about twelve years old and that no-talent, ass clown got famous and started winning grammys."
This movie is friggin hilarious. Particularly the scene above, where the kick the shit out of the printer in a field. "PC load letter? What the FUCK does that mean????"








3. Cinderella Man



OK, this movie is amazing. Russell Crowe, who basically can do no wrong. Paul Giamatti, always amazing in supporting roles. Renee Zellweger (who I normally can't stand with her scrunched up face) is even incredible. You root for Jimmy Braddock the ENTIRE movie, its fantastic and based on a true story. My dad cries at the end of this movie.











2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

This movie could even be tied for #1, I love it so much. I love the idea that people try to escape their pain, want to erase loved ones that have been lost because it hurts too much--and yet you lose so much MORE by forgetting. The way the characters re-live their life together and, in the end, find each other again (or do they? best part of the movie is that you don't even know whats going to happen to them for sure.) Its great how they show how love can be so complex...where you can love someone so much and yet things fall apart--but that the experiences, memories, love, etc...are worth something even when the person is gone. The moral of the story is that it is better to have LOVED, and lost, then not to have loved at all.





1. The Shawshank Redemption


"Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."



Well, there they are. The top ten movies according to yours truly. Hope you enjoyed reading them as much as I enjoyed writing about them!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment