Sunday, February 24, 2013

What's a girl to do?

I've got a little problemo.

I have briefly mentioned this in my blog before. But I'm going to do a full post about it today.

HOW do women who have certain diets/restrictions maintain their weight and resist temptation while living with a man who constantly eats unhealthy foods in their presence?

Am I the only one who has a much easier time resisting unhealthy foods (ice cream, buttered popcorn, pasta, pizza, etc...) if it is not being consumed in FRONT of my face?



Now...before I paint my BF to be a total jerk, please note that:
1. I have NEVER asked him to alter his diet, regardless of my health choices.
2. I have NEVER expected him to do so. It seems unreasonable.
3. He can eat delicious food and not gain weight.
4. I'm guessing, given the choice, that most people would choose food they like vs. food that's "Ok" given the choice and being that there isn't the consequence of weight gain.





Which begs the point...
OF COURSE he's going to eat Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and Reese's Ice Cream, and M & M's, and Fettucine Alfredo, and red velvet cake. Because he CAN. And we each make our own choices based on the hand we're dealt, right?



And I've been dealt a more "challenging" hand when it comes to weight loss.
Therefore, I make different choices.

So that's all true.
Great.
Case closed.





Except...


Why do I get so irritated with him when he eats this stuff?

Why do I feel like he's making my life harder than it needs to be?

Why do I feel like somehow, he's being insensitive?

Why do I feel like I ate a big bowl of crazy for breakfast?





Jealousy? Yes. That's a definite.
Frustration? Absolutely. It's not fair.

But part of me feels like he should be trying to make my life easier. Like he shouldn't be eating these things so much in front of me.

And the other part of me feels like...holy shit, he's in his own home, eating what he chooses to eat, he's not taunting me with it, he's just EATING. And it's not his fault that my metabolism sucks.

Wouldn't I eat these foods too? 
If I could get away with it and not gain weight?


So I'm trying to figure this out.

It's important to note that I did mention that it bothers me at times when he eats Reese's Ice Cream in front of me.
The good news? And he said he'd stop doing that. (I love him.)
The bad news? There's about 10 other things I'd like him to stop eating!!!



How can I decrease my frustration?
How can I make my (OUR) diet work?

What can you REASONABLY expect from your partner when you make a lifestyle change? 


Well that's the real question, isn't it?

Jury's still out. I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment