Sunday, October 21, 2012

Kielbasa Pasta? Yes please!

I was talking to Brian the other day, and concluded that merging our tastes into one menu has definitely contributed to my weight gain.

I am constantly trying to find new things to cook for us. Making him try veggies. Finding ways to make meals balanced but palatable to both of us. Ugh. Difficult with a man who thinks Pasta Roni is a food group.

In what will come to be known as the "Pre-weight loss era" (a.k.a. when I was fatter), I cooked DELICIOUS and VERY unhealthy foods at times. Meatloaf sliders with cheese on potato buns...Chili cheese dip...pierogies sauted in butter...chocolate peanut butter truffles...(all so good. all so fattening.)

We even bought a deep fryer. (Sweet Jesus.)

One thing I started cooking this summer (when I was on a more...ahem..."relaxed" weight loss plan) was BOWTIE PASTA WITH KIELBASA.

I lightened the recipe, but its not exactly Lean Cuisine.

Brian has been requesting it for WEEKS.



So. I made it today.
ANNNNND officially counted the calories in it. (EEK)

Guess what?
ITS NOT THAT BAD FOR YOU!!! 


So I'm sharing the recipe below. It tastes like it has a LOT more calories than it does. Rich and delish!

BOWTIE KIELBASA PASTA

Ingredients: 
-1/2 box Barilla Plus Farfalle (I like Barilla because it has a higher protein content and better nutritional profile. Another option is Dreamfields low Gluten. That's good too.)
-1 jar of Classico LIGHT Alfredo sauce.
-1 large (15oz.) can of peas
-1 package turkey polska kielbasa
-1 cup chopped onions
-1 tbsp. olive oil (optional)

Start by browning onions over medium heat. (This is where the optional olive oil comes in. I didn't use it today, I used Pam instead. It adds ~30 calories/serving.) While onions are browning, cut up kielbasa.




Add Kielbasa to onions and cook for ~5-10 minutes over medium/high heat until the kielbasa is slightly reddened/browned.



Then, add the entire jar of sauce. Mix well. Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer ~10-15 minutes, covered, stirring often. Start boiling water for your pasta.



When you first add the alfredo sauce, the scent of cream/cheese is dominant in the pan. Once the mixture smells mostly like the kielbasa (10-15 minutes) you know it's ready to have the peas added.
Add the entire jar of peas. Put your pasta in the boiling water too.


Add 1/8 cup of water to the mixture and cover. Simmer over low-medium heat for 10 minutes, as the pasta cooks. When you drain pasta, remove sauce from heat and let sit for a couple minutes. Add drained pasta to the sauce and mix well together. Once mixed let sit 1 minute. Serve.




The finished product is delicious! Rich and filling. Here's the nutritional breakdown:

Yield is 4 servings (large portions--because that's what I like!!!! A smaller serving could easily be enough for someone else, especially if you add a veggie.)
525 calories/serving.
19 g. fat
30 g. protein

True, it's a little higher in fat than I'd typically eat...BUT...I find that the fat makes it very satisfying and filling. As part of a reduced fat diet it's ok to eat something with a little more fatty-ness to it! (At least that's how I feel!)


SERIOUSLY. If you like creamy pasta dishes and like kielbasa you will LOVE this! Just wanted to share! Happy Sunday!



No comments:

Post a Comment